Wednesday, April 1, 2015

I Am Very Glad, Because I'm Finally Returning Back Home

If I ran a game store I would play the song I Am Very Glad, Because I'm Finally Returning Back Home by Eduard Khil.

In the 1960s and 1970s Eduard Khil was a treasured Russian crooner, with a couple of generations enjoying his soothing baritone vocals. He and his composer, Arkady Ostrovsky, had composed this song in the mid-60s with lyrics about an American cowboy returning to his farm. When it came time to perform the song on television, Khil put aside the lyrics and performed the song vokaliz style instead (meaning sung but without words, akin to American scat singing). Some claim that the government was censoring the imagery of the life in the American west to Soviet-era listeners. Khil denied this, claiming instead that the lyrics were unfit for television. YouTube has a variety of videos of Khil performing this song. All of them are vokaliz and all are accompanied by a full orchestra. A 1976 performance was discovered there by internet misfits who surfaced it on Reddit, and from there BuzzFeed and the Huffington Post further popularized the video. The video went viral and eventually led to a call to revive Khil's career, although he was well into his 70s at the time. The song has gone down in internet history as the "Trololo" song or the "Russian Rickroll". For me, the song is time-stamped with the mark of the early 2010s. I have to imagine that most people who were clowning around on the internet at that time have encountered this song.

I Am Very Glad, Because I'm Finally Returning Back Home on Google Play


No comments:

Post a Comment